Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"Sport(s) in the USA".

Hello traveler! Welcome to the U.S. I hear you want to know about sports in my country and I am going to do my best to describe them to you. Although I was never a major athlete myself, I did grow up surrounded by friends who were. Where I grew up, the main sports were Soccer and Basketball. Both include a ball and the goal of the game is to score as many points as you can by kicking or shooting the ball into the goal. Being physically in shape is a major element to both sports. They are mostly team orientated and separated by gender. Therefore, there is always a boys team and girls team. Football and baseball are two other main sports in America. They also contain a ball but a baseball is a lot smaller than a football; and a football does not have a round shape like all the other sports have. As I said before, all require a sense of teamwork and cooperation. Players are typically very goal driven, determined, and a successful sports player is generally highlighted for being best all around.

My high school had a soccer player who was one of my good friends and won the Gatorade Woman of the year award when I was a senior in high school. This was my real first impression of what it meant to be a star athlete because Morgan was not just a fantastic soccer player but she was great in school and did a lot of community service. In other words, she fully encapsulated the meaning of determination.  Sports in high school differ a lot in my opinion from the sports in college. Sports can be a deciding factor for many students in trying to decide which school to go to. I grew up in the South and from what I can tell there is also a huge geographical difference in the way people react to sports.
For example, when I came to Colorado, although we had big sports, it did not seem as big of deal as when I went home. When I came home for Christmas break, I could not involve myself in any of the conversations with my friends because of how much sports had influenced their college experience.

In a sense, sports has become a major aspect of "the college experience". On a typical gameday, one will often find a lot of inebriated college students, wearing their teams colors, some will have their faces painted, there is lots of cheering, there is frequent moments where the fans will sing their sports theme song. It's pretty rowdy but can be one of the greatest memories a student will have in college. Like I said earlier, sports at many colleges is one of the main things students think about when trying to decide where to go (next to education of course :]).

Sports in the U.S.A. are important because they bring people together and have a tremendous effect on our economy.  They donate to charity and big games bring in tourist. A successful athlete is mostly someone who has been apart of the sport for a long time and has won a lot of memorable awards. Money and awards are not just the only thing, it is also about character and being a good role model to their fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment